I came upon this article about juicing for health and it claimed to tell me 50 Fascinating Facts. This article has some really helpful facts for sure...Let's see if I can find some fascinating ones ...... The facts and my thoughts below.
Remember, I am not a doctor, I just play one on TV.
1. If you are juicing for health, it is useful to remember that fresh juice starts to lose nutrients as soon as it is made. If you want to retain the full benefit of your effort, drink the juice immediately or as soon as possible. (True Story)
2. Some juice extractors, such as the centrifugal-ejection type, generate enough heat during operation to do some damage to the delicate structure of the juice. The resultant oxidation destroys nutrients. (Violent vs. non-violent juicers)
3. Masticating juicers use a more gentle process, preserving more of the valuable nutrients. This also enables you to store the juice for a longer period. (This is why we have a masticating juicer - 40% more juice and it lasts longer)
4. If you have to store the juice for a while, make sure that the container is airtight, add a few drops of lemon juice, and keep it refrigerated. (I just use jars that I have saved for making jam late this spring)
5. When juicing for health, a clever gadget named PumpNseal can be used to vacuum seal juice in any jar. Removing the air enables you to store the juice for longer periods without nutrient loss. (I haven't needed to save juice for more than 12 hours before so I don't have any knowledge of the Pump-N-Seal, other than it sounds like something they give away as a free gift with your prescription of Viagra)
6. In general, masticating juicers offer extra features, such as accessories you can use to mill, grind, puree, to make pasta, and to come up with the most delectable frozen desserts. When juicing for health, these extras will give you a fairly varied repertoire in the kitchen. A raw food diet will become more feasible in the process. (We have used our masticator to make strawberry/banana sorbet. I will use it later today to make peanut butter.)
7. If you are concerned about a high noise level, rather choose one of the masticating models. (The masticating juicer isn't very loud at all. My friend Suzanne says it sounds like its actually chewing the veggies - hence the masticating name I think!)
8. Remember to remove hard pits from fruit such as peaches. You won't eat these and neither will your juicer! Don't ruin the blades! Apple seeds contain small amounts of cyanide. Be sure to remove these before juicing. (Hmm.....obviously makes sense, but I haven't been removing the apple seeds. If I'm dead soon, you'll know why.)
9. Most body-building, leafy greens have strong flavors. Cucumber is a terrific disguise for this, and has the added advantage of containing important nutrients. Maximise the benefit by using one that doesn't need peeling. (I LOVE adding cucumber - so fresh tasting!)
10. If you are juicing for health, use organic produce as far as possible. Otherwise wash everything thoroughly. (Some info on using organic and non-organic and how much of the chemicals you may end up with Minimize Chemicals )
11. Often the greatest concentration of nutrients lie just beneath the rind or skin. (Hey look - a fascinating one!!!)
12. Don't peel carrots, but do remove their greens. Rhubarb greens also need to be removed. There may be a problem with toxicity if you juice these.
13. Do peel citrus, mango and papaya. These peels are not usable and may even be harmful to you. The skins of oranges and grapefruits contain toxic substances. However, the white, pithy part just below the skin, contains valuable bioflavonoids. Aim to retain as much of this as possible. (Always just remove the COLOR of the orange, lime, lemon - leave the white pith behind, that's where the good stuff is) This is what your lemon should look like ------>
14. Soft fruits such as peaches, melons and strawberries will produce a much thicker juice than harder textured fruit such as apples. Combine the two to improve the results. (yum)
15. Rather blend banana and papaya. They don't juice well. If you have one of the masticating juicers with added features, you can try these as a frozen dessert. Juicing for health isn't suppose to be a punishment, after all! Enjoy something sweet regularly. (Frozen bananas are awesome through our juicer)
16. Follow soft fruits with harder textured produce, to facilitate clearing the pulp. (Learning curve here. Apples, cucumbers, and oranges get backed up something fierce in the masticators. Shove a carrot through and/or celery after clears the jam up and gets the remaining juice into the bin.)
17. Juicing leafy greens becomes much easier if you roll the leaves into a little ball, before feeding it into the machine. (Word)
18. Wheat-grass is exceptionally nutrient-rich, and has a taste strong enough to equal its value! If your juicer can manage it, start with tiny amounts and increase the quantity slowly. (Because it tastes terrible.)
19. It is claimed that the benefits of drinking wheat grass juice includes cleansing the lymph system, building the red blood cells, removing toxic metals from the cells, nourishing the liver and kidneys, and restoring vitality. (I want to be vital.)
20. Wheat-grass needs to be consumed in juice form, as the body cannot process the plant fibres. (K.)
21. Wheat-grass is gluten-free, in spite of its name. Gluten is found only in the seed kernel, and not in the stem and grass leaves of the young plant. It should therefore be safe for individuals with a gluten intolerance. (Cool)
22. Drink freshly made juice daily and concentrate on using as wide a variety of produce as possible, to ensure that your body receives a bit of all the most beneficial micronutrients. (I try to make sure people that I'm helping along in their juicing don't get stuck on their "favorite" juice. There are lots of different combos, and lots of veggies to use to get the most out of juicing.)
23. Your need for expensive supplements in the form of vitamin and mineral tablets, will diminish significantly, if you are juicing for health on a daily basis. (NICE!!)
24. Many ailments will improve if juice forms a regular part of your diet. For example, cabbage juice is one of the most healing juices in case of ulcers. In this case, use under medical supervision.
25. If you experience water retention, juices such as celery, cucumber, cranberry, and watermelon are extremely helpful. (On it!!)
26. A general rule is that a pound of produce will give you about a cup of juice. (And this is my answer when someone says "why can't i just eat the veggies and fruit?" Because you have to eat a TON to get the benefit of what you're getting out of the juice. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who wants to eat 6 stalks of Kale, 2 stalks of celery, a cucumber, an inch of ginger, two apples, and half a lemon twice a day.)
27. One cup of carrot juice is equal to about four cups diced, raw carrots. Carrots are much easier to consume in liquid form. Your body is also able to assimilate them better. (Good to know)
28. Vegetable juice is a low-calorie snack and contains no fat. Use it as part of a sensible eating plan, and experience the wonderful results. (Wonderous!)
29. Fresh juices act as a healthy, harmless appetite suppressant, and craving curbed.
30. Vegetable juice can also help to stabilize blood sugar levels. It has much less sugar than fruit juices and about 50% less calories, yet it will satisfy that sweet tooth every time. Try carrot or a combination of carrot and parsley juice when a craving hits you, and the juice jolt will give it a knock-out before you know it! (TRUE story)
31. A water fast may leave you feeling drained, while a vegetable juice fast will give you an energy surge. Fasting should always be done under supervision. (I had SO much energy on my cleanse. I'm trying to find the right combo of adding it to my regular life to maximize the energy benefit.)
32. If you really don't like the taste of certain vegetables, try juicing these and adding them to some of your favorites. You probably won't even notice the difference in taste, but your body will certainly notice the difference in nutritional value!
33. Your skin may become slightly yellow if you consume large quantities of carrot juice. This effect is harmless and will disappear once you reduce your consumption.
34. Juicing for health is more beneficial if you consume juice that is at room temperature. (There is a reason for this....but I can't remember what it is....)
35. Ginger gives a bit of a bite to juice. Try it! It has anti-inflammatory properties. Stomach irritations, nausea and motion sickness can be relieved by taking ginger. (Ginger is a ROCK STAR. I have it in EVERY juice I make.)
36. The nutrients in the juice you drink, is taken up immediately by all the cells in your body. Your juicer magically transfers the produce into pre-digested food. This means that your body is able to make maximum use of all the enzymes, vitamins and minerals. (And this is why you juice. You are creating a juice that your body can absorb and deliver to your cells and blood stream immediately!)
37. Juices help you to maintain the proper PH in your body, which is important in preventing diseases like cancer. (so what are you waiting for!!!!!!)
38. The phytochemicals in the juice also helps to remove carcinogens from your body. (BAD carcinogens!!!)
39. The properties in many vegetables, such as cucumber and carrots, will improve your skin, hair, and nails. If you up your intake of fresh juice, expensive beauty treatments may become a thing of the past. (My skin has been glowing for sure!!)
40. Juicing for health is anti-ageing and puts the spring back in your step. (Anti-aging? Sign me up)
41. Children love the sweet taste of carrot juice. It is easy to add other, perhaps detested veggies to the juice, without them noticing it. (How awesome is it to serve your kids an super healthy after school juice, rather than a pop tart?)
42. Remember that, it you have kids, they may be more willing to try the juice at first if you turn it into a smoothie. Try apple, carrot and grapes or strawberry. Put ice-cubes in a blender, and pour in your juice mixture. Add some frozen yoghurt or sherbert if you want, and blend to the desired thickness. (OH!!!)
43. A good way to add extra flavor and sweetness to juice, is to use fresh or shredded coconut. (Or mint leaves :) )
44. You can also add some cranberries if you like the taste. Cranberries have an extremely high antioxidant content. In addition, they may help you to avoid urinary tract infections. (Haven't done this yet, but want to)
45. Scientists recommend 8 to 9 servings of fruits and vegetables to be consumed per day. A substantial portion of the population don't even reach 20% of the ideal. Juicing for health is the easiest way to bring you closer to this goal. (Again, an answer as to why you don't just eat the veggies. Because we just DON'T)
46. Although juicing removes some of the fibre, the process allows you to ingest a much more concentrated, easily assimmilated form of enzymes, minerals and vitamins. Just be sure to boost your fibre intake, by eating fibre-rich foods such as cereals and whole grains.
47. It is believed that sugar cane juice has properties that help to prevent tooth decay. In contrast, eating sugar cane often, will result in frequent visits to the dentist.
48. There is also evidence that there may be some wound healing and immune strengthening properties in sugar cane. In addition, the juice has a soothing effect on the digestive system, especially when combined with fresh ginger.
49. Juicing for health isn't a cure-all! If your lifestyle is unhealthy in general, don't expect juicing to magically wipe out the negative effects of all the things you know you probably shouldn't do! (WORD. YOU NEED A LIFESTYLE CHANGE TO GO ALONG WITH THE JUICING. You can't cleanse, and then go back to what you were doing before....)
50. If you are pregnant, planning to get pregnant, nursing or have any illness, you need to get medical advice before starting a juicing for health program. The same rule applies to small children. Some juices are quite potent and may do more than good under certain circumstances.Juicing-For-Health---Fifty-Fascinating-Facts
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/133608