Wednesday, March 14, 2012

I'll Take Vegetables That Begin with K for $200


Throughout the cleanse and since, we have received some really good questions that I didn’t cover in my blog posts during our journey.  I’d like to take some time and answer them here.  I hope that if you have questions about what we did, you’ll feel free to either ask below in the comments or email me.  I’d be glad to help anyone get started!!


  •  Would we do anything different for our cleanse?  In hindsight, we couldn’t have planned it better.  But we really didn’t mean to.  I would definitely suggest looking at your calendar before starting a fast, whether it be a 3 day, 5 day or 10 day.  You need to make sure you’re going to be successful, and that if possible, the first several days you will be at home or mostly at home.

  • How was your energy level?  Did you experience weakness?     Two different questions.  I felt an ebb and flow with my energy.  The first two days, I had a lot of energy.  Then a set back.  Then two days of energy, then a set back.  Then five full days of immense energy.   DH had two days of total lethargy, and then never looked back.  I wouldn’t say weakness is the right word.  I was able to go about my daily life, but I didn’t really do anything extra.  I wanted my body to be able to detox uninterrupted.  DH was able to go to work twice for 24 hours (where he doesn’t really get much sleep), and he played a 90 minute hockey game in the middle of the cleanse.  He had plenty of energy, and no weakness to speak of.  Lethargy and weakness are different.

  • Did you follow any of the plans listed on the reboot site?   We didn’t really follow a plan, but that is where we decided how long to have our fast last, and what we could and couldn’t consume.  Like the fact we could have herbal tea, and if we were unable to juice, as an option we could eat what we would juice.  We never had to do that, but it was an option for us. Join the Reboot


  • Did you just pick the recipes that looked good to you, or did you find a suggested mixing of juices for the day?    Per the reboot website, we knew we were going to need to be drinking at least four 16-20 oz drinks per day.  We started with the Original Mean Green juice from the documentary Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead.  I have that listed on my recipes tab.  I then basically spent a lot of time searching through other blogs, and the reboot site looking for good juice recipes.    I don’t tire easily of the same thing, but DH does.  Our taste buds are different so I needed a variety of savory vs. sweeter drinks.  After a while, you will find that you will know what tastes good together, and you will start to experiment.  But my recipe tab should help you get started, or a google search is fun too!  Try to avoid mixing fruits and vegetables, as our bodies digest them differently.  Therefore, you are slowing down the process of absorption when you mix them together, defeating the purpose of what you’re trying to accomplish.  The only fruit that should be mixed with the vegetables is an apple.Why Not to Combine Fruits and Veggies


  • Have we found anything that our juicer couldn’t handle?   Our juicer (the Omega 8005) is a workhorse.  We love it.  It is a masticating juicer so it can handle anything, and performs particularly well with leafy greens.  We have found that squishy veggies/fruit get kind of mucked up in there when you’re using a lot of them, but you can push them through with a carrot or a piece of celery and clear up the backlog.  When juicing a LOT like we have had to do for DH’s shifts (and this was during the cleanse, not day to day now), we had to take the Omega apart really quick and rinse it off then put it back together.  This takes less than a minute because the Omega is awesome that way!  Super easy assembly, disassembly and clean up.  (Omega is not paying me for this paragraph LOL)

  • Didn't juicing make you sick?  Most common question!! I personally did not become sick.  DH did not become sick.  Yes, my body was going through the detoxification process, but I was never sick.  Part of that detoxification process we both experienced was some heavy chest tightness (not like a heart attack feeling or anything!!) but within our lungs.  I also had quite a runny nose that same day.



I’d love to hear from anyone with questions I did not cover.  (Don't make me beg.)

No comments:

Post a Comment